- Free blood pressure screenings
- Hand hygiene education
- Skin analysis
- Biodot/stress management tips
- Chair massages by a Darien Y’s Massage Therapist
- Q & A about exercise and sports injury prevention with a Stamford Hospital Physical Therapist
Winter 2018 Evaluation Stroke Clinic:
November 19 5:30 – 6:15 pm and November 20 4:45 – 5:30 pm
Any NEW swimmer looking to join Winter House and possibly the Piranha Competitive Swim Team, must participate in the Winter stroke clinic as an evaluation. Swimmers should be prepared to attend both days of the clinic. New swimmers who attend the stroke clinic are not guaranteed placement.
Fees: Members $50, Non-Members $75
Our Pilates Reformer classes are now “Pay by the Class.” Registration in advance is encouraged as there are only 5 spots in each class. However, members and non members may register prior to start of class.
Classes will run every week starting October 8 through December:
Wednesdays 10:45 – 11:45 am with Emma
Thursdays 9:30 – 10:30 am with Steve
Friday 10:30 – 11:30 am with Karyn
Classes will not run on the following dates:
November 22 & 23 and December 26, 27, and 28
The Darien YMCA will be offering two flu shot clinics on:
- October 19 from 9:00 am – 12 noon
- November 10 from 9:00 am – 12 noon
Flu shots will be administered by Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County.
All flu clinics are conducted on a first-come, first served basis
Are open to anyone age 4+ years. Under age 18, must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
The cost of flu vaccine is $50. High-dose vaccine is available for those age 65+ for a fee of $70.
Please bring your insurance card wear short sleeves or sleeves that can be easily rolled up.
For more info, call our Flu Info Line at (203) 762 – 8958, ext. 444
Why Chair Yoga?
The body loses 3 things by the time we reach 50 years old.
- Posture – Misaligned spine, leads to arthritis
- Pelvic Mobility – Can cause pelvic floor issues
- Muscle Strength – “Muscles of Independence” (Quads, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Abdominals) can weaken making it more difficult to get up from either a seated or lying down position
Yoga can help you get them back! By working in a chair, we minimize stress to joints and muscle fatigue while achieving our goals of improving postural alignment, maintaining pelvic mobility and gaining strength. As we build more lean muscle mass, we can minimize the onset or effects of osteoporosis while also improving the efficiency of our calorie burn during all forms of exercise or activity.
WHEN: Tuesday, October 30 at 12:30 pm
WHERE: Studio 1 at The Darien YMCA
INSTRUCTOR: Cheryl Curthoys
This workshop is FREE for Members of the Darien Y! Please Register for each workshop online or at the front desk!
Non-Members can participate for $20
Session Dates: November 26, 2018 – March 13, 2019 (13 weeks)
Tuesday, October 30 at 10:00 am
Priority registration for Darien YMCA members who are currently enrolled in the Fall session.
Thursday, November 1 at 10:00 am
Registration for Darien YMCA members who are residents of Darien.
Tuesday, November 6 at 10:00 am
Registration for Darien YMCA members who are not residents of Darien.
Thursday, November 8 at 10:00 am
Non-members can register for any programs.
Please note the following:
- The Y will be open 7:00 am to 12 noon on Thanksgiving Day
- The Y will be closed on December 24 and 25 for Christmas
- The Y will be open 5:00 am to 3:00 pm on December 31
- The Y will be closed on January 1, New Year’s Day
- There are no youth lessons & programs December 24 – January 1 (Darien school break)
- There are no youth lessons & programs February 18 – February 24 (Darien school break)