The Darien YMCA has been an integral part of Darien for 50 years with its focus on improving individual health and well-being, developing the potential of kids, and giving back to the community.
Children of adult members have prority registration for programs whether or not the child is a member. Family members of an adult Y member can join for significant savings.
“Family” is defined by the National YMCA as adults and children living in the same household, and being related by blood, marriage, or adoption. The Darien YMCA will require proof of residency of all parties seeking a membership that consists of more than one individual.
New England Reciprocity and the A.W.A.Y. program
New England Reciprocity
The New England Reciprocity Program is a benefit offered to those members who maintain an active membership at their home Y within the New England States (the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont). New England Y members visiting Ys in New England may visit other YMCA’s at no fee, however, restrictions may apply. Each Y is required to post information on their website detailing any restrictions so we recommend that you check their website or directly contact the Y you are visiting to determine their policies and/or restrictions.
You must have your home Y ID card with you. You will be required to sign a waiver. We reserve the right to contact your home Y.
Restrictions for visitors to the Darien Y from New England States
- Visitors from other Y’s may use our Y at any time, but during certain hours of the day some classes or program areas may have limited use. Visitors may not attend group exercise classes during the hours of 6:30am-11:00am, Monday-Sunday. Contact the Darien Y for any further specifics.
- Reciprocity members may not bring guests while visiting our Y.
- Reciprocity does not provide member benefits with programs or babysitting.
As a reminder, if you are using another Y more than you are using your “Home” Y, you will be asked to transfer your membership to the appropriate Y location.
Local Y Reciprocity:
- Under the Local Y Reciprocal Agreement, you must belong to the Y you use most often and limit your reciprocal visits to 8 or less a month.
- Local Y’s in this agreement include: The Westport Weston Family YMCA, the Greenwich YMCA, the Stamford YMCA, the CT Coast Regional YMCA, the Riverbrook Regional – Wilton YMCA, and the New Canaan YMCA.
- No visitors under the age of 18 will be allowed.
- No guest privileges for AWAY members.
- Silver Sneakers memberships do not include reciprocal visits to other Y’s.
The A.W.A.Y. Program (Always Welcome at the YMCA) entitles a member to use your membership at over 600 participating Y’s across the country typically at no charge, or at a priority rate of that YMCA’s guest fee. Some Y’s may impose restrictions, so visiting members should always confirm any restrictions with the host YMCA.
It is the members’ responsibility to carry their membership card while in the facility: to gain admittance to the facility, when registering for programs, and upon entering the pools.
Code of Conduct
We expect everyone using the YMCA to behave in a mature and responsible way, and to respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Code of Conduct does not permit language or actions that can hurt or frighten another person, or that falls below a generally accepted standard of conduct. Members should report an infraction to a YMCA Director immediately.
The YMCA reserves the right to suspend or revoke any membership for good cause as determined by the Executive Director or the Board of Directors. The length of suspension or refund of membership dues or fees will be determined by the same authority.
The actions listed below are not an all-inclusive list of behaviors considered inappropriate within the YMCA property, facilities, or programs:
- Carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, swearing, name calling, or shouting
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior; any sexual contact with another person
- Inappropriate, immodest, or sexually revealing attire
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property
- Loitering within or on the grounds of the YMCA
The Y will make every effort to open its doors during inclement weather. Please note that a final decision to open or close will be made based on conditions of your safety, staff safety, and emergency first responder’s recommendations. Holly Pond Nursery School will continue to mirror the Darien Public Schools in the event of their closings or a 90-minute delay. If the Darien Public Schools have a delayed opening and the YMCA opens at its regular morning hour, the following policy applies:
- Holly Pond Nursery School will open at 10:00 a.m.
- All Youth Aquatics and Gymnastics classes will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- All Group Fitness Classes and Adult Fitness Classes will run at regularly scheduled times
If the Darien Public Schools cancel school or have an early dismissal, a decision will be made by the Executive Director about whether the YMCA will remain open and whether classes will run. All announcements regarding closings will be made available online through our website (under Y News) on Facebook, Twitter, our iPhone mobile app, and our Droid mobile app. If you have any questions you should contact the Y’s main phone number and a recorded message will be current.
The Darien YMCA does not provide accident insurance for injuries sustained during YMCA activities. Program members participate in programs and use the facility at their own risk. Members are encouraged to have personal medical insurance coverage.
Youth Supervision Policy
Children under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times (with the exception of open gym). Please see the following rules for each department
Wellness Center minimum age: 13 years old, which constitutes a Student Fit membership. All Student Fit members must complete a Wellness Center youth certification (free of charge) with one of our personal trainers before being allowed to use the Wellness Center. (please see Wellness Center student hours).
Training Center minimum age: 15 years old. If the student is 15 years or older, they will be orientated with the Training Center during their initial youth certification.
Personal Training minimum age: 10 years old. This option is open to children of members and children who hold youth memberships. Non-member children are also permitted to personally train at an increased rate.
Group Exercise Classes minimum age: 15 years old.
Open Gym: 12 years of age and older. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
Aquatics: Children 8 & under must have a parent/guardian (minimum of 17 years) with them in the water and in the locker rooms at all times.
Aquatics: Children 9 to 12 must have a parent/guardian supervising them on the pool deck at all times. if a 9-12 year old is a non-swimmer a parent/guardian is required to swim with their child
Aquatics: Children 13 years and older are allowed to use the pools without direct supervision. Parents are strongly encouraged to be in the building while their child is swimming
During the hours of 5-8 p.m. on the weekdays, all students of respective ages must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian in either the Wellness Center or the Training Center
The YMCA would prefer that all children under 16 years of age be picked up at the YMCA instead of having them walk home or bicycle home.
Youth Membership Policy
Children (under 18) of Adult members and Youth members are entitled to:
• Priority registration
• Use of the pool
• Use of the basketball gym
Children (under 18) of Adult members and Youth members are not permitted to:
• Have access to our fitness facilities this includes the Wellness and Training Centers
• Have guest pass privileges
All youth are required to check in at the Control Desk when entering the facility. Kids must be age 12 to use the pool and basketball facilities without adult supervision.
Teens who are interested in using our fitness facilities can purchase a Student Fit membership and will have access to the following:
• Age 13-14 – Use the Wellness Center after a student fit certification with our staff.
• Age 15-17 – Use the Wellness Center, Training Center, and take fitness classes after a student fit certification with our staff.